More than any other industrial segment, yours - oil, gas, coal, all the CO2 carbon fuels - are the most directly responsible for the end of our species. You continue to worsen the struggle and cause an early death for our progeny.
A study guide for interpreting that other web site
That other web site: energytomorrow.org - seems to have one purpose: to promote and secure the use of fossil fuels far into the future. This is a time when we are about to decide to stop further carbon dioxide emission. Our future depends on minimizing CO2 emmisions immediately.
For decades now, energy companies have funded PR campaigns that try to deny global warming, deny the science and actively inject confusion into the discussion. Now that the science is well settled - their tactic is changing. They accept that global warming exists, then dodge the question of whether it is clearly human caused or can be mitigated. Then they move directly to a message that might be re-stated as: “While we look for a solution, lets keep using oil and coal.” They ask us to ignore the more aproper action which is to immediately lower all usage, and halt all fossil fuel usage as soon as possible.
They craft a deceitful message saying they want to be part of the solution. Their strategy is to prolong the widespread use of carbon fuels. Right now all climate science and engineering dictates the only real solution is to halt all the CO2 emissions - and carbon fuel is the biggest source. Since the flow of carbon fuels is so highly profitable, their quandary is how to continue the heavy flow and heavy profits.
The way they choose to de-demonize their carbon commodity by connecting carbon fuels as the main way to save the economy - hence our future. And following classic propaganda principles, they will discuss alternative energy - but never permit the difficult discussion of the most daunting solution: the immediate halt to all carbon fuel combustion.
The Amercian Petroleum Institute is killing our future - just to extend theirs.
ExxonMobil alone delivered $40 Billion to stockholders last year. The API industry group spends millions on PR and marketing campaigns to keep the world burning carbon fuels and avoid facing the stark science of how CO2 damages our future. That is so wrong, so unethical, shameful and such horrible corporate behavior - but that’s probably just business - stockholders expect a full effort to keep profits flowing. Despite the science, they show little concern for dangerously increasing CO2 levels in the atmosphere. That’s not right.
As public policy better synchronizes with climate science, we can expect the petroleum industry to use new tactics to mold public opinion, forstall taxation and keep their trade moving. We might anticipate their messages such as “extending dialog”, “exploring all the solutions”, “energy for our future”, etc. All this as a way to deflect and delay anything that constrains their business.
Carbon dioxide is the main greenhouse gas responsible for global warming and climate change. Like no other number, the monthly CO2 reading is an objective and current indicator of how we are doing. The number speaks for itself.
6. Climate change is dangerous because of “tipping points” - an important concept to know - where one event triggers another. Like connected, amplified teeter-totters. Science has a hard time with tipping points, because they lead to greater complexity and runaway impacts
8. For decades the fossil fuel industry has funded huge PR campaigns to discount the science and restrict legislative reactions that would stifle their business. These have been very effective. The Executive branch has actively suppressed government studies on global warming. Seemingly intelligent people will often deny brutal truths.
“…the problem is not that people aren’t hearing about climate change, but that they don’t want to know. The professional classes have the most freedom to lose and the least to gain from an attempt to restrain it. Those who are most responsible for carbon pollution are - being insulated by their money - the least likely to suffer its effects. “
…we all have our self-justifying myths. We tell ourselves a story of our lives in which we almost always appear as the heroes. These myths prevent us from engaging with climate change…
…The most powerful story of all, endlessly narrated by the hired hands of the fossil fuel industry, just as it was once told by the sugar slavers, is that we are both all-important and utterly insignificant. We are too important to be denied any of the delights we crave, but too insignificant to exert any impact on planetary processes. We fill the whole frame of the story when it suits us and shrink to a dot when that scale is more convenient. We are capable of occupying both niches simultaneously…
…It is not just because (the movie) The Great Global Warming Swindle is at odds with the entire body of scientific knowledge on this subject that I have bothered to contest it. It is also because it is consonant with the entire body of human self-deception. We want to be misled, we crave it; and we will bend our minds into whatever shape they need to take in order not to face our brutal truths.
- George Monbiot 7-22-08
9. Europe and other nations seem to better understand the problem than the US. Most humans will not really get it until they feel the sea level rise and experience more storms, floods, heat waves, bio changes, crop losses, etc.
10. Dramatic and painful climate problems happening sooner will better work to stimulate change. Any changes made now are more effective than the same change enacted in the future. The longer we wait, the harder it gets. (8 years have been wasted)
11. Most adults alive today will see more and increasingly intense global warming problems; Children growing into a very unpredictable world will need all the preparation we can give them. Philosophically: we should learn the dangers, still enjoy life, educate the kids, and push change as fast as we can. No engagement is more important.